Skip to main content

Paying for care and support services

Some people choose to arrange and pay for their own care and support services (sometimes called being a ‘self-funder’). Other people will ask the council to arrange that support for them. If your services are arranged by the council, you may be asked to make a contribution to the cost.

Charges for services arranged by the council are calculated slightly differently for care provided in the home and community to care provided in a care home. More information about this is provided on the paying for a care home page.

Before you are provided with care and support services, you will usually need to be assessed by a social care worker. Please contact Warrington Borough Council’s Adult Social Care First Response team to discuss or arrange an assessment.

Can I get help paying for my care?

Depending on your financial situation, if you are eligible for care and support services, you may be asked to pay all or part of the cost of your care and support services.

To find out whether we can help you with your care costs, we will do a financial assessment. This looks at your income, savings, capital and outgoings to work out how much you should pay towards the cost of your care and support.

Usually, if you have more than £23,250 in savings or other investments, we will ask you to pay the full cost of your services. This means that you are a 'self-funder'.  If you are a self-funder you may choose to arrange your own services and support.

If you have less than £23,500, you may still be required to make a contribution towards the cost of care and support, but may not have to pay for all of it. 

What counts toward the £23,500?

Your ‘capital’ includes any money you hold in bank accounts, ISAs, shares, cash, land or property that you own (but do not live in) or any other investment.

The property that you live in will only be taken into account if you need to go into residential care. More information about this is provided on the paying for a care home page.

Your ‘income’ includes some (but not all) state benefits, state retirement pension and private or work pensions.

We can provide more personalised details about what parts of your capital, savings and income will be included or excluded, as well as which outgoings are taken into account, during your full financial assessment.  

Find out how much you may have to pay

Our online calculator can help you to find out how much you may need to pay towards your care based on your income, savings and expenses.

Find out how much you may have to pay for your care: Start the online calculator

How do I pay?

You will usually receive a bill every four weeks listing the services you have received and the amount you have to pay.

There are several ways you can pay your bill either at post offices, by cheque, by standing order or by debit card over the phone. All the payment options are explained clearly on the back of any bill.

Are any care and support services free or charged differently?

Community disability equipment and minor home adaptations (costing under £1000) are provided free of charge if provided to meet your eligible needs. This could be part of a wider package of care that you can be charged for.

Intermediate care and reablement services are short-term periods of rehabilitation aimed at either preventing hospital admission or building up your abilities and confidence after hospital discharge. These services may be provided free of charge, for a maximum of 6 weeks. Some people receive services free of charge for less than 6 weeks, if the purpose of their rehabilitation service has been achieved sooner.

Telecare (assistive technology) equipment is provided free of charge. However, some telecare equipment requires installation of the Carecall personal alarm system for which there is a small charge of as little as £3.50 per week.

Day services charges may include the cost of meal provision. There may also be additional charges if you need to use community transport.

A wide range of activities, groups and services are provided by local voluntary organisations. Many of these services are free of charge or low cost. The Warrington Wellbeing Service may be able to advise you on low cost or free community services.

What are direct payments and personal budgets?

Personal budgets
A personal budget is an amount of money you are entitled to receive to pay for services and support to meet your assessed care and support needs.

Direct Payments
A direct payment is one of a number of ways you can choose to spend your personal budget. It is where the Council pays all or part of your personal budget directly to you, so that you can pay for and arrange your own services and support.

For further information see our money and legal advice page.

Back to top

A-Z of services

Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited