Care homes

Care homes provide 24 hour support to people who can no longer be supported in their own home or in any other setting. There are different types of care homes dependent on an individual’s level of need.

Before moving to a care home you will usually need to be assessed by a social care worker (for residential homes) or social care worker and nurse (for nursing homes). Please contact Warrington Borough Council’s Adult Social Care First Response team to discuss or arrange an assessment.

What types of care homes are there?

Type     Description       What they offer
Care home or Residential care home     A care home provides accommodation and personal care for people who are unable to live at home independently and may need extra support in their daily lives. Care homes are sometimes referred to as residential homes Help with personal care, such as washing, dressing, taking medication and going to the toilet. They may also offer social activities such as day trips or activities within the home
Nursing home     Similar to a residential care home but for those who require support from qualified nurses due to their health needs It is the availability of full time nursing care by qualified nurses which make nursing homes different from residential homes
Care homes with dementia care (sometimes called elderly mentally ill (EMI) homes)     EMI homes provide similar services to residential or nursing homes but specialise in the needs of people who have dementia In addition to the services offered by all care homes, these homes are designed to make people with dementia feel comfortable and safe
Dual-registered care homes    

They accept residents who need both personal care and nursing care. This means that someone who initially just needs personal care but later needs nursing care won't have to change homes

Dual-registered homes can offer continuity for people whose needs may change or increase over time



Find residential, nursing and dementia care homes.

What other options can I consider before moving into a care home?

You may not actually need to go into a care home if you can get additional care and support for living in your own home or alternatively, you may consider respite care or sheltered/retirement housing.

  • Help in your own home – There are a range of services and activities that can help you to live as independently in your own home for as long as possible, for example:
    • Care at home – Home care (also known as domiciliary care) enables people to live in their own homes and access care services, which are usually provided by care workers. Home care can include things such as: getting out of bed in the morning, washing and dressing; preparing meals and drinks; and support to take prescribed medication
    • Home adaptations and equipment – There is a range of equipment available and adaptations to your home which can be made to help you remain in your own home. These can be: small items that are widely available, such as electric tin openers and travel kettles; more specialist items such as bath seats, or perching stools; larger items such as stair lifts; minor property adaptations such as grab rails; or (for those with greatest need) major adaptations such as walk-in showers
    • Meal preparation and delivery – If needed, there are services available to deliver meals to people who have difficulty with shopping, carrying food home or cooking for themselves
    • Assistive technology – Assistive technology (also known as telecare) is a range of equipment and services that support your safety and independence in your own home. The equipment can sense risks such as smoke, floods and gas leaks, can remind you to take pills and even call for help if you fall. The Council has its own social alarm service called Carecall that can help people with care and support needs to remain living independently and safely in their own homes

  • Respite care and short breaks Many residential homes offer short stays (from a couple of days to a couple of weeks) for individuals who need extra support following an operation or illness, or while their regular carer takes a break

  • Sheltered/retirement housing – these housing schemes allow residents to live independently with the option of professional support at hand when required

What to think about when choosing a care home

For many people, moving to a care home is a big decision and it can be difficult to know where to start.

When choosing a care home it is important to check on quality standards. The established independent regulator for care homes in England is called the Care Quality Commission (CQC). The CQC undertake regular inspection of all care homes to ensure they meet government standards and provide safe, effective and high-quality care. These inspection reports can be found on their website.

Care homes can differ considerably and it is important to find an environment in which you feel comfortable. This is very much about personal choice, however there are some resources that can help you understand a care homes approach to care. For example, Age UK’s Care Home Checklist and the Which? guide to choosing a care home.

How do I pay for a care home?

You will usually have to pay something towards your care in a residential or nursing home and for the majority of people this may mean that most of your income will be used to pay the fees. You won't need to pay for the nursing element of any care you receive as this will be paid for by the NHS.

Find out how much you may have to pay
Our online calculator can help you to find out how much you may need to pay towards your care based on your income, savings and expenses.

I’m self funding
If you have savings of £23,350 you will be asked to pay the full cost of any services you use. This is known as being a ‘self-funder’. See the NHS guide to paying for your own care and support.

Can I get council funding?
Yes, but Warrington Borough Council's adult social services will need to carry out a social care assessment and a financial assessment.

We can then tell you how the council will work out what you need to pay, and how it will affect your income, savings and property.

If you have savings over £23,250, the council will not be able to contribute financially towards your care and you will need to pay for this yourself.

What if the home costs more than the assessed standard amount?
If you choose to go into a home which is more expensive than the council’s assessment shows you need, or is more expensive than the standard amount we will pay, then someone must pay the difference. This is known as a ‘top-up fee’, and should be paid by a third party (not the person receiving the care) This fee is additional to the charge we assessed that you would have to pay for your own care.

How will my property be taken into account?
If your property is value over £23,250 you will need to pay the full costs of your care. The council can offer you a deferred payment agreement. This can delay your payments for your care and stop your house being sold in your lifetime.

Find out more about paying for care. There are further resources which can help you to understand how you pay for residential care homes, for example Age UK’s Paying for permanent residential care factsheet.