Education, Health & Care Plans (EHCP)


Useful videos produced by the Council for Disabled Children which explain EHC Plans and Annual Reviews


Teachers monitor the progress of all the pupils in their class through regular assessments. Where a child is not making the level of progress expected for their age, the teacher will put in place additional help and support. 

If you are concerned that your child is not making the progress that you expect to see, you should speak to your child’s classroom teacher and/or the school’s Special Educational Needs and Disability Coordinator (SENDCo). They will look at your child’s learning and development needs and may ask an Education Psychologist to come into assess your child’s needs formally. They will put in place a plan to address the challenges your child is experiencing.

Once the plan is delivered and reviewed, your child’s school may decide that your child should have an EHC Needs Assessment. At this time they will make a referral to the EHC Team.

EHC Process Flowchart

How to request an EHC needs assessment for a child or young person

If your child has special educational needs or a disability which is holding them back and you believe that the school or college has not been able to provide the help they need, then a request should be made to Warrington Borough Council for an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment.

We advise you to speak your child’s classroom teacher and the school’s Special Educational Needs and Disability Coordinator (SENDCo) as they can make the request on your behalf.

If you want to put in the request yourself, you will need to complete the parental request form and provide the evidence to show why your child needs an EHC Needs Assessment.

The relevant request form should be completed, supporting reports/documents attached, and then sent to the EHC Assessment Team ( 

EHC request forms are available here.

Anyone who is unfamiliar with the EHC needs assessment process should contact the EHC Assessment Team on 01925 442175 for advice prior to making any referrals.

EHC Request Form

Mediation and disagreement resolution services

Wherever possible Warrington Borough Council and/or Warrington NHS Clinical Commissioning Group (health commissioners) will try to work with you on areas of disagreement.

However, it is recognised that sometimes it's not possible to reach a resolution without the help of an independent third party. 

As part of our legal obligations, the Council will make available INDEPENDENT mediation provision. Kids SEND Mediation and Disagreement Resolution Service provides this for Warrington Borough Council.

Services are available to parents/carers of children with special educational needs and/or disabilities additional needs and, if appropriate, to young people over the age of 16.


To submit a comment, compliment or complaint, visit the council website complaints section

SEND appeals tribunal

The role of the tribunal

The first-tier tribunal is overseen by Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunals Service. It hears appeals against decisions made by local authorities in England about children and young people’s education, health and care needs assessments and Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP). It also hears disability discrimination claims against schools and local authorities.

Click here for further details

Single Route of Redress - National Trial

The trial to appeal decisions about the health and social care provision specified in EHC plans, in addition to the educational aspects, has been extended until the 31 August 2021.

To find out more information about the trial visit the Department for Education’s website.


Contact Us

EHC Assessment Team 

Please note: Our offices are currently closed to visitors in line with coronavirus guidelines. We cannot accept any post in person. You can post your items to our postal address below:

Postal Address: Warrington Borough Council, East Annexe, Town Hall, Sankey Street, Warrington, WA1 1UH

Telephone: 01925 442175

Other useful links and documents