SEND Register FAQ's

What is the SEND register?

All local authorities must have a record or register of children with Special Educational Needs and / or Disabilities (SEND) in their area, under the Childcare Act 1989. Our SEND register is Warrington's way of doing this.

Who does it cover?

  • has a special need from either a disability or a health condition
  • has a long term illness
  • needs help with personal care
  • needs help with communicating their needs and feelings
  • gets Disability Living Allowance
  • is under 25 years old
  • lives in Warrington

Some examples of such health conditions or disability could include but not limited to:

  • ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
  • Autism or Aspergers
  • Behavioural, emotional or social difficulties
  • Cerebal palsy
  • Complex health needs
  • Dyspraxia
  • Global development delay
  • Learning difficulty
  • Mobility difficulty
  • Palliative care needs
  • Sight and / or hearing impairments

Do I have to sign up?

No. Signing up for the SEND register is completely voluntary, but we encourage you to do so as we believe it will be beneficial to you.

Why should I sign up?

Once we have your details we will keep you informed of what is available in the area and tell you about any planned changes or developments that may affect your child.

The information we get from you will also help us have a clearer picture of where children with SEND live and what their needs are. This will help us plan support services more effectively when reviewing and setting them up.

From time to time we would also like to seek feedback from you on Warrington’s Local Offer to see how we can improve.

Who will use my information?

The statistics we will get from the register will be used for planning purposes. The information may be shared with genuine service providers of the council to process the information on our behalf.

We will also be working closely with the NHS in planning future integrated provision and may want to share this information with them.

Will this affect my benefits?

Registering for the register will not affect any services or benefits that you currently receive. It also does not give your child any additional benefits or services.

How do I register?

Parents and carers can register on behalf of their children by completing the attached form and emailing it to:

Alternatively, you can print out, complete and return the form by post to:

SEND Commissioning Team

Warrington Borough Council
East Annexe
Town Hall
Sankey Street

What is the background to the SEND reforms?

The basic principals of the new SEND legislation which came into force in 2014 are that

All children have a right to an education that enables them to make progress so that they can:

  • Achieve their best, become confident individuals and live fulfilling lives
  • Make a successful transition into adulthood - whether that's into further education, training or work. 

When making decisions about SEN or disabilities your local authority must:

  • Have regard to the views, wishes and feelings of children, their parents and young people
  • Make sure that children, their parents and young people participate as fully as possible in decisions that affect them
  • Provide support to children, their parents and young people so that children and young people do exceptionally well educationally and can prepare properly for adulthood.