St Stephen's Catholic Primary School

School Details

All children in England between the ages of 5 and 16 years are entitled to a free place at a state school. Legally your child reaches compulsory school age at the beginning of the term following his/her fifth birthday. In Warrington, however, it is current policy to provide education from the beginning of the school year in which your child is 5 years old. This means that a school place will be available in the September following your child’s fourth birthday.  Mainstream state schools are funded by the Local Authority (LA), follow the National Curriculum and are regularly inspected by the Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted).

For information on St Stephen's Catholic Primary School visit the website.

Extended Services through schools

Extended services are additional services and activities offered by schools to pupils, their families and the community. These services often take place outside of normal school hours and can include access to childcare, sports activities and support for learning. Find out what might be on offer and get information about possible costs and financial help.

Childcare provision related to this school

  • St Stephen's Catholic Primary (N)
    Please see separate entry under 'nursery' for more details.
  • Please see separate entry under 'childcare' for more details.
  • Childminders also provide out of school care and some may have specified they pick up/drop off from this school.
    Please contact the Families Information Service for more details.

For more detailed information of childcare linked to this school please contact the Families Information Service, who can offer comprehensive up to date information on registered childcare in Warrington, including childminders, day nurseries, pre-schools, playgroups, out of school and holiday clubs, carer & toddler groups, leisure activities and much more.....

Other Useful contacts

WBC school admission, transport, & pupil services team 01925 446226

Who to contact

Contact Name
Mr Steven Hatton
Contact Position
01925 630100
Alternative telephone: 01925 637645
Fax: 01925 243396

Where to go

St. Stephens Catholic Primary School
Sandy Lane

Other details


Local/National Service?

Local Offer


St. Stephen’s aims to provide every child with quality teaching and learning opportunities within a caring and stable environment which promotes co-operation and respect for others through the nurture of Christian and moral values.

Not all toilets are accessiable.

Contact Telephone
01925 630100
Contact Email
Local Offer Age Bands
5-11 - Primary

Schools Extended Local Offer Response

How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

At St. Stephen's we recognise that a number of children may have Special Educational Needs (S.E.N.) which may be long or short term and may arise from general learning difficulties or temporary or permanent medical or emotional problems.

The work in every school class is a continuous cycle of observation, assessment, planning, target setting and review which takes account of the wide range of abilities, aptitudes and interests of the children. Teachers employ a variety of approaches and make provision for increased curriculum differentiation in order to maximise the achievement of all the children. 

Your child’s class teacher, along with the teaching assistants, continually monitor the progress of all children. Assessment on entry, both for the Reception intake and those who transfer from other schools, provides a ‘baseline’ for staff to build upon. 

Progress is then reviewed every term at meetings between the Head Teacher, the Assessment Coordinator, the Special Needs Coordinator (SENCo) and the class teacher. In addition the Special Needs Coordinator liaises closely with all staff. This includes:

  • Discussions with staff when concerns arise
  • Additional one to one assessment when the need arises
  • Observation of children in class

When observations or assessments indicate areas of increasing concern to teachers they are alerted to the fact that some of the children causing these concerns may have S.E.N. and, therefore, require additional support. This will be discussed with parents/carers and their views and wishes sought.

Consideration for extra support is given to those children who:

  • Make little or no progress even when teaching approaches and a differentiated curriculum have targeted a child’s identified difficulties.
  • Show signs of difficulty in developing specific literacy or numeracy skills.
  • Present persistent emotional or behavioural difficulties not managed by the school’s usual behaviour management techniques.
  • Have sensory or physical problems and continue to make little or no progress despite the  provision of specialist equipment.
  • Have communication and/or interaction difficulties and continue to make little or no progress despite the provision of a differentiated curriculum.
  • Have English as a second language and may, therefore, experience difficulties accessing the curriculum.
How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

If you think your child has a special educational need you should speak to your child’s class teacher in the first instance.

Your child’s teacher may also speak to the special Needs Coordinator (SENCo) or suggest that you meet with the SENCo.

Any steps to provide additional assessment within school or from outside agencies will always be discussed with you. No steps are taken without parental knowledge and permission.

If you are not happy that your concerns are being managed and your child is still not making progress you should always speak to the SENCo or Head Teacher.

If you are still not happy with the steps taken you may speak to the school SEN Governor.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's/young person's needs?

The class teacher is, obviously, the main supporter of your child. Where appropriate there will also be support from the teaching assistant and/or SENCo.

The class teacher ensures access to good quality teaching and makes differentiated adjustments to the curriculum to meet your child’s individual needs.

The majority of children will learn and progress within these arrangements but for those children whose progress continues to cause concern additional support needs to be offered.

The class teacher will arrange any additional help your child may need such as individual or small group targeted work or extra resources and, for those children with social, emotional or behavioural difficulties, a Nurture Group is provided to give that extra support needed in a very small group setting. School also has a qualified Every Child a Reader Teacher who delivers this programme daily.  These arrangements are monitored by the SENCo and Head Teacher. 

All classes have teaching assistant support. Where appropriate a teaching assistant may work with your child individually or in a small group on personalized targets.

The SENCo oversees all the support for children with Special Educational Needs and ensures that you are:

  • Involved in supporting your child’s learning
  • Kept informed about the support your child is receiving
  • Involved in reviewing your child's progress 

The SENCo liaises with all external agencies who may be involved in helping to support your child's learning such as the Speech and Language Therapy Service, Occupational Therapy, Specialist Nurses, Specialist Orthoptist, Visual and Hearing Impaired Services, Specialist Learning Support Teachers, Educational Psychologist, School Health Advisor, Community Paediatricians.

The SENCo provides specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help your child achieve the best possible progress in school.

The SEN Governor works with the school to understand and monitor the support given to children with any Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

Class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will try to ensure that your child’s needs are met. Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis to meet your child’s learning needs.

Teaching assistants may be allocated to work with your child in a small group or one-to-one to target more individual specific needs.

If your child has been identified with special educational needs they will be included in a Provision Map which outlines targets and specific resources and strategies which will be used to support your child individually and/or in groups. The detailed Provision Map is reviewed fully at regular intervals and copies of your child's additional support provided for you.

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall well being?

The progress of all children is assessed every half term and discussed in detail at a meeting attended by the class teacher, assessment coordinator, SENCo and Head Teacher. 

School has an 'open door' policy and you can, therefore, arrange to talk about your child’s progress and needs with the class teacher, SENCo or Head Teacher at any arranged time.

You are invited to a Parents’ Evening twice a year where your child’s progress and future steps are discussed. This can include personalized targets and your child's support on the Provision Map. The SENCo is also available on these evenings for individual appointments.

Sometimes we use home and school link books between families and school to help us communicate with you throughout the week.

At the beginning of each term information regarding the curriculum requirements for each class is sent home so that you can see what your child will be learning about in school.

Further information on all curriculum policies can be found on the school website.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

Your child’s class teacher knows all class members well and provides pastoral guidance to support each child’s emotional needs.

If you have any concerns about your child’s emotional health and well-being this is best discussed in the first place with your child’s teacher.

All classes have support from teaching assistants who also know the children very well and can mentor and advise as appropriate. Together, these adults can quickly spot individuals who are vulnerable and act swiftly and sensitively to support their needs.

If appropriate, small group interventions are put in place to help develop social skills or self-esteem. School also has a designated Nurture Group which supports identified 'vulnerable' children from across all the classes.

Children with specific needs such as autism, for example, will have support tailored to their individual needs to help them communicate and progress more effectively.

The SENCo, again, supports teachers and teaching assistants with both the informal pastoral guidance and mentoring and with the more structured approaches. There is close liaison between the Senco and the Nurture Group leader.

If your child has physical or medical needs a care plan can be set up to outline the provision required so your child can access all aspects of school life as fully as possible.

We have clear procedures and policies for administering medicines and dealing with accidents.

Our behaviour policy includes guidance on expectations, rewards and sanctions and is closely followed by all staff.

School monitors attendance daily and takes the necessary actions to prevent unauthorised absences.

What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had? Are any being trained currently?

The Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) is employed as a mainscale teacher for 16.25 hours a week and has the appropriate qualifications for S.E.N.   

School can access some services and professionals that are centrally provided by the local authority or health service. These include:

  • The Inclusion Service which contains specialized learning teachers, Visual and Hearing Impaired Specialists and Educational Psychologists.
  • Referrals can also be made to agencies such as a Speech Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist, Specialist Orthoptist, Community Paediatrician,
  • The School Health Advisor is available to discuss matters informally and, as the pathway to specialized nurses for conditions such as autism and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
  • Family support can be provided and referrals to agencies for counseling and mental health issues.
  • As available support from the local authority is limited school also pays privately for the support (assessments, advice/recommendations etc) of a company which provides specialist teachers and an Educational Psychologist for learning/behaviour issues.
How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

The SENCo has many years’ experience working with children who have special educational needs or disabilities.

Where there is a need the SENCo trains staff. This can be training a teaching assistant supporting an individual child as well as training for larger groups of staff.

Teachers and support staff attend training courses out of school that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.

How accessible is the setting/school/college environment?

We promote involvement of all our learners in all aspects of the curriculum including activities outside the classroom. 

Risk Assessments are completed for activities outside the classroom, school trips and after school clubs. Where there are particular concerns for safety and access, further thought and consideration is put in place to ensure needs are catered for. If there is an issue around safety due to behaviour we would act in accordance with our Behaviour Policy. Where applicable, parents/carers are consulted and involved in any necessary planning.

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

The school has made all reasonable adjustments so that the physical and learning environment is accessible to all. There is wheelchair access and a toilet suitable for disabled users.

There is a large 'bank' of S.E.N. resources which all staff can access. The resources are annually reviewed and increased.

School values and respects diversity in our setting and attempts to meet the needs of all our learners. A qualified EAL teacher is employed to help support those children and families whose first language is not English.

How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

Many of our children move into the Reception class from the local Nurseries. Visits are made by the children with familiar staff on-hand to offer support. The Reception teacher will also visit the children in their individual settings to meet the children and gain any necessary information needed about each child.

A meeting is also held for parents of the new Reception intake each year to enable them to meet all staff and become familiar with the school.

Towards the end of each school year the children spend some time in the class they will be moving into in order to familiarize themselves with their new classteacher and classroom.

Our approach to supporting children who transfer from another school is flexible as we respond to the needs as they arise. Some children need more support than others at these times and we put the appropriate resources and strategies in place to meet each child’s needs.

School has well established systems to help children in the move to secondary school. We have strong links with our partner schools. Our SENCo, year six teacher and teaching assistant work closely with the special needs department of the secondary school to make sure children with special educational needs or disabilities have the smoothest transition possible. This may include separate meetings with appropriate support staff and/or additional visits to the secondary school.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

Allocated SEN funding is used to provide additional support, adjustments, resources and assessments  for SEN learners.

The receipt of Pupil Premium (funding presently allocated to schools under the ‘free school meals’ system) is used to provide additional support and guidance for pupils and families who have claimed their entitlement. Funding is used to provide additional teaching support for individual children and small groups, extra learning resources and support from E.A.L. and S.E.N. specialists.

How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

Decisions about the support your child may receive are based on discussions between the class teacher and SENCo and included in the Provision Map.

Appropriate provision can be planned following pupil progress meetings or from recommendations from external agencies.

Interventions are tracked for impact and outcomes evaluated on the Provision Map.   

Children who have had a Statutory Assessment from the local authority may be allocated a specific amount of support which will then be provided within school.