St Bridget's Catholic Primary School

All children in England between the ages of 5 and 16 years are entitled to a free place at a state school. Legally your child reaches compulsory school age at the beginning of the term following his/her fifth birthday. In Warrington, however, it is current policy to provide education from the beginning of the school year in which your child is 5 years old. This means that a school place will be available in the September following your ch ild’s fourth birthday.  Mainstream state schools are funded by the Local Authority (LA), follow the National Curriculum and are regularly inspected by the Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted).

Information about the school can be found on their website.

Extended Services through schools

Extended services are additional services and activities offered by schools to pupils, their families and the community. These services often take place outside of normal school hours and can include access to childcare, sports activities and support for learning. Find out what might be on offer and get information about possible costs and financial help.

Childcare provision related to this school

  • Please see separate entry under 'childcare' for more details.
  • Childminders also provide out of school care and some may have specified they pick up/drop off from this school.
    Please contact the Families Information Service for more details.

For more detailed information of childcare linked to this school please contact the Families Information Service, who can offer comprehensive up to date information on registered childcare in Warrington, including childminders, day nurseries, pre-schools, playgroups, out of school and holiday clubs, carer & toddler groups, leisure activities and much more.....

Other Useful contacts

WBC school admission, transport and pupil services team 01925 446226

Who to contact

Contact Name
mrs Ceri Dobson
Contact Position
Head Teacher
01925 811873
Fax: 01925 816498

Where to go

St. Bridgets Catholic Primary School
Capesthorne Road

Other details


Local/National Service?

Local Offer


All Warrington schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible and have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs. They are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils make the best progress.

Not all toilets are accessible.

Contact Name
Mrs Ceri Dobson (Head Teacher) Mrs Julie Strogen (SENCo)
Contact Telephone
01925 811873
Contact Email
Local Offer Age Bands
5-11 - Primary

Schools Extended Local Offer Response

How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

As a school we measure children’s progress in learning against National expectations and age related expectations. The class teacher continually assesses each child and notes areas where they are improving and where further support is needed. As a school, we track children’s progress from entry at Reception through to Year 6, using a variety of different methods including National Curriculum levels and the Foundation Stage Profiles.

Children who are not making expected progress are picked up through our termly Pupil Progress Review meetings with the class teacher and Head Teacher. In this meeting a discussion takes place concerning why individual children are experiencing difficulty and what further actions need to be taken.

They may put extra support in place, often called intervention groups. These are run outside the classroom by a teacher or teaching assistant trained to use a recommended programme. These children will usually have an Individual Education Plan (IEP) and are classed as being at School Action. 

For a child needing less than 20 hours of support a week but have a specific barrier to learning that can’t be met in an intervention group, they may be referred to an outside agency by the SENCo for extra specialist support, who may make recommendations of how best to support them. This will be discussed with you beforehand. These children are classed as being at School Action Plus.

For a child needing more than 20 hours of support each week or have severe, complex or lifelong needs the school or you may request that the Local Authority carry out a Statutory Assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out an amount of support that will be provided for your child. After information has been gathered the Local Authority will decide if your child will require an Education, Health Care Plan or Statement of Special Educational Needs. This will mean your child will receive support from the Local Authority. An extra adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes including your child or support them 1 to 1.

How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

If you think your child has special educational need then communication is the key.The class teacher is the initial point of contact. If you require more information contact our SENCo or Head Teacher. We pride ourselves on building positive relationships with parents.  

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's/young person's needs?

Our SENCo will closely monitor all provision and progress of any child requiring additional support across the school by:

  • Coordinating all support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and assisting with developing the school’s SEND policy to make sure all children get consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are involved in supporting your child’s learning, kept informed about the support your child is getting, involved in reviewing how they are doing and is part of planning ahead for them.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning, for example Speech & Language Therapist, Educational Psychologist.
  • Updating the schools SEND record of need, (a system for ensuring all the special educational, physical and sensory needs of pupils in this school are known and understood) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Supporting class teachers and teaching assistants in the school, so they can help your child and others with SEND in the school achieve the best possible progress.

The SENCo is contactable by appointment through the school office or by direct daily contact. 

The class teacher will be responsible for:

  • Overseeing, planning and working with each child with SEND in their class to ensure that progress in every area is made. There may be a teaching assistant (TA) working with your child either individually or as part of a group, if this is seen as necessary by the class teacher. The interventions will be reviewed regularly and will be explained to parents when the support starts.
  • Writing Individual Education Plans (IEP’s) and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Ensuring that all members of staff working with your child in school are aware of your child’s individual needs and/or conditions and what specific adjustments need to be made to enable them to be included and make progress.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are supported in delivering the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

Class teacher is contactable by appointment through the school office or by direct daily contact. 

Head Teacher. Mrs. Ceri Dobson, is responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • She will give responsibility to the Pastoral Manager, Inclusion Team and class/subject teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • She must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

The Head Teacher is contactable by appointment through the school office.

 SEN Governor. Mrs. Gloria Prendergast, is responsible for:

  • Making sure that the school has an up to date SEND Policy.
  • Making sure that the school has appropriate provision and has made necessary adaptations to meet the needs of all children in the school.
  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.
  • Making visits to understand and monitor the support given to children with SEND in the school and being part of the process to ensure your child achieves his/her potential in school.

The SEN Governor is contactable by appointment through the school office.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

When a pupil has been identified with special needs their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily.  Teaching Assistants (TAs) may be allocated to work with the pupil in a 1-1 or small focus group to target more specific needs. If a child has been identified as having a special need, they will be given an Individual Education Plan (IEP). Targets will be set according to their area of need. These will be monitored by the class teacher and by the SENCo. IEPs will be discussed with parents at Parents’ Evenings and a copy given to them.  If appropriate specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, concentration cushions, pen/pencils grips or easy to use scissors.

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall well being?

The class teacher will meet with parents at least twice a year. This could be as part of Parent’s evening to discuss your child’s needs, support and progress. For further information the SENCo is available to discuss support in more detail. We offer an open door policy where you are welcome any time to make an appointment to meet with either the class teacher or SENCo and discuss how your child is getting on. We can offer advice and practical ways that you can help your child at home. We believe that your child’s education should be a partnership between parents and teachers, therefore we aim to keep communication channels open and communicate regularly, and especially if your child has high level needs.

Your child may have an IEP / IBP in place and therefore the targets set are SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time scaled) targets with the expectation that the child will achieve the target by the time it is reviewed.

If your child has high levels SEND they may have an EHC Plan (education Health Care Plan) which means that a formal Annual Review will take place to discuss your child’s progress and a report will be written. This can also be done at a six monthly interim review if changes to circumstances occur or concerns arise.

The progress of children with a statement of SEN/EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all the adults involved with the child’s education.

The SENCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in. The SENCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.

All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report. The SENCo will also arrange to meet with you to discuss any new assessments and ideas suggested by outside agencies for your child.

Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs. A home and school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

If your child is undergoing statutory assessment you can also be supported by Parent Partnerships at Warrington Borough Council. They will ensure that you fully understand the process.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

At St Bridget's we are an inclusive school. We believe that we work together by sharing best practice, ideas and resources, listening, communicating and collaborating and by working together in highly motivated, skilled and supportive teams. We learn when we are enjoying ourselves and feeling happy and relaxed, motivated, inspired and challenged and when we know that we are included, valued and loved. We show our care by providing a safe, secure and stimulating environment for all, showing our respect for each other, our individuality and our differences and by being friends together!

The class teacher has overall responsibility for the pastoral, medical and social care of every child in their class, therefore this would be the parents’ first point of contact. If further support is required the class teacher can liaise with the SENCo/Family support worker for further advice and support. This may involve working alongside outside agencies such as Health and Social Services, and/or the Behaviour Support Team.

The school has a full time Family Support Worker who works with vulnerable families.

The school has a policy regarding the administration and managing of medicines on the school site. Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers medicines are administered in school but only where a signed Medicine consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member. This may include medicines for life threatening conditions or required for a long term illness such as asthma and diabetes. In such cases a ‘Care Plan’ may be put in place according to the directions of the School Nurse.

School have an Educational Welfare Officer to help increase attendance.

What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had? Are any being trained currently?

Our SENCo is fully qualified and accredited. The school has a development plan, including identified training needs for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This may include whole school training on SEND issues or to support identified groups of learners in school, such as ASD, dyslexia and Speech and Language difficulties.

Whole staff training to disseminate knowledge, strategies and experience, to ensure consistency of the school’s approach for children with SEND. Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g. Project X ,1st class@number, talk for writing, Speech and Language.

Some staff are first aid trained. Some staff have been trained in Positive Handling.

As a school we work closely with any external agencies that we feel are relevant to individual children’s needs within our school including:

  • Educational Psychologist
  • Speech and Language
  • Social Services
  • Alder Hey
  • Health
  • Paediatrician
  • Occupational Health
  • Pastoral support worker
  • Ophthalmic optician
  • Educational welfare officer
  • ASD specialist nurse
  • St Joseph’s Family Centre

Should your child require any form of involvement with an outside agency then the school would immediately inform you and obtain permission from parents to pursue any kind of professional intervention .

An Educational Psychologist is allocated to each school. They would normally only work directly with pupils who needs are felt to be quite considerable and have not responded well to the interventions previously put in place for them. This involvement is generally planned at the termly review meetings. These are meetings held three times a year between school staff and where appropriate, other professionals. The aim the meetings is to gain an understanding of and try to resolve a child's difficulties In order to help understand the child's educational needs better, the psychologist will generally meet with the parent and give feedback after the assessment has been completed. They will offer advice to the school and parent/carers on how to best support the pupil in order to take their learning forward. As a school we also buy in support from external agencies when needed.

A full time school based Family Support Worker supporting the more vulnerable children and families. At St.Bridget’s we also have a qualified (ECC) Every Child a Counter Teacher and an (ECaR)  Every Child a Reader teacher currently training. 

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

Mrs Strogen has gained the qualification ‘National Award for Special Educational Needs Coordination’. School also have an ECC Teacher and a ECAR Teacher (currently completing training).

All of our teaching assistants have had training in delivering reading and spelling / phonics programmes and some have training in Project X, a reading intervention, First Class at Number, a maths intervention, Precision Teaching (Literacy and Numeracy) and Catch-Up (a literacy and maths intervention).

The school also have teaching assistants who have had Speech and Language Therapy training. They are therefore able to deliver Speech and Language sessions to pupils according to their individualised reports.

As a staff we have regular training and updates of SEND, Medication use and Resources /interventions available for our pupils in order to ensure all staff are able to manage pupils accordingly.

How accessible is the setting/school/college environment?

All children are included in all parts of the school curriculum. Activities and school trips are available to all. We aim for all children to be included on school trips. We will provide the necessary support to ensure that this is successful.

A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off site activity to ensure everyone’s health and safety will not be compromised. Individual risk assessments are completed with parent carers when planning activities and trips for some individuals. If it is deemed that an intensive level of 1 to 1 support is required, an additional adult will accompany the child during the activity.

Extra-curricular activities are accessible for all children.

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

St.Bridget’s School  is situated on one floor and can is wheelchair accessible. We also have a disabled toilet. As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements. The school is able to liaise with Occupational Therapist and School Health in order for us to ensure ease of access and safety for all.

Refer to Disability and Access Plan.

How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

We encourage all new children to visit the school prior to starting when they will be shown around the school and any concerns can be addressed. For children with SEND we would encourage further visits to assist with the acclimatisation of the new surroundings.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance  and a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. There is a hand over day for class teachers and teaching assistants to pass information about the children onto their next teacher. All Individual Education Plans will be shared with the new teacher.
  • If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made available for them.
  • The children will visit their new classes for transition sessions and be introduced to their new environment well in advance.

 In Year 6:

  • The Year 6 teacher will attend a Primary Transition Day to discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCo of their secondary school.
  • Year 6 class teacher and Teaching Assistant attend a retreat day with the children and discuss all children’s needs with staff.
  • Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Extra transition days are made available as when needed.
How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

We ensure that all children’s SEN needs are met to the best of the school’s ability with the funds available. We will often allocate teaching assistants who are funded by the SEN budget to deliver programmes designed to meet groups of children’s needs. The budget is allocated on a needs basis.

Directly funded by school:

  • SENCo
  • Teaching assistants
  • 1 to 1 Teaching Assistants for children with SEND
  • Family Support Workers
  • Behaviour Support (from outside agency)
  • Additional Inclusion Teacher for Learning input to provide a higher level of service to the school (from outside agency)
  • ECAR and ECC Teachers
  • Speech and Language Programme
  • Additional Educational Psychology Service

Paid for centrally by Local Authority but delivered in school:

  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Inclusion Teacher for Learning
  • Parent Partnership (to support families through the SEND process and procedure)

Provided and paid for by the Health Service:

  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • School Health Advisor
  • Pediatrician
How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

The class teacher alongside the SENCo will discuss the child’s needs and what support would be appropriate. Different children will require different levels of support in order to bridge the gap to achieve age expected levels. This will be through on-going discussions with parents/carers.

The SENCo supports all children with SEND and liaises with all other agencies supporting your child. She will also discuss any concerns you may have and make any appropriate referrals.

The Head Teacher gives responsibility to the SENCo and Inclusion Team but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met