Warrington Borough Council Local Support Scheme

Local Support Scheme

The Local Support Scheme replaced Crisis Loans and Community Care Grants, which were abolished by the government in 2013.  The scheme has significantly less funding than has previously been available.

The budget for the scheme is fixed, which means there will be no additional funding available if we run out. The service we provide must make the money available to help as many people as widely as we can, throughout the year.

Warrington’s Local Support Scheme is designed to make sure we make the best use of the limited funding available to:

  • meet short term needs in the event of a crisis or emergency 
  • support vulnerable people to remain in, or return to, the community 

The scheme has two elements:

  • helping people in the event of a crisis or emergency, and 
  • helping people to return to or remain in the community 

You are able to apply for items you need to help you live independently, or for help in the event of an unforeseeable crisis or emergency.

We may also refer you to a local support service. For example, if you need help because of debt issues, we could refer them to someone to help sort this out.

We do not supply cash payments through the scheme, but we may pay a supplier for what you need. If this is furniture, it will be good quality, re-used items.

You can apply to the scheme if you are:

  • Resident in the Warrington area 
  • Moving to the Warrington area 
  • Aged 16 or over 
  • On a low income and without access to sufficient funds to meet immediate needs 

and you also fit one of these circumstances:

  • you are leaving a place of care, prison or temporary supported housing and need help establishing a home
  • without the items applied for, you wouldn’t be able to remain living independently without the need for formal care 
  • you have a need that has come about as a result of an emergency or disaster and you or a family member would be at risk if this need is not met.

Before you apply 

STOP… First, have you looked in the following places that maybe able to help you?

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) are awarding Short Term Benefit Advances (gov.uk)and Budgeting Loans (gov.uk). If you are not in crisis or an emergency situation, you need to call 0845 608 8526 to check your entitlement.

If you would like more information about donating food or furniture to schemes which support local people please contact: www.warrington.foodbank.org.uk or Warrington YMCA (furniture) 01925 232 725.


Local Support Scheme application form

(Important: When you click through to the application form - before you click 'apply online', please make sure you tick the box at the bottom of the page to say that you accept cookies from this site. Otherwise you may not be able to complete the form. Thank you.)

Please note, the DWP will continue to administer the social fund statutory payments after 1 April 2013. These are:

  • Surestart Maternity Grants 
  • Funeral Payments 
  • Cold Weather Payments 
  • Winter Fuel payments 
  • Budgeting Loans 
  • Alignment Payments

Who to contact

Contact Name
Contact Warrington
01925 443210

Where to go

Contact Warrington
Horsemarket Street

Other details


Local/National Service?