St Joseph's Catholic Primary School

School Details

All children in England between the ages of 5 and 16 years are entitled to a free place at a state school. Legally your child reaches compulsory school age at the beginning of the term following his/her fifth birthday. In Warrington, however, it is current policy to provide education from the beginning of the school year in which your child is 5 years old. This means that a school place will be available in the September following your child’s fourth birthday.  Mainstream state schools are funded by the Local Authority (LA), follow the National Curriculum and are regularly inspected by the Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted).

For information on St Joseph's Catholic Primary School  visit the website.

Extended Services through schools

Extended services are additional services and activities offered by schools to pupils, their families and the community. These services often take place outside of normal school hours and can include access to childcare, sports activities and support for learning. Find out what might be on offer and get information about possible costs and financial help.

Childcare provision related to this school

Please see separate entry under 'childcare' for more details.

  • Funky Munkys Out of School Club
  • Fun Out of School
  • Childminders also provide out of school care and some may have specified they pick up/drop off from this school.
    Please contact the Families Information Service for more details.

For more detailed information of childcare linked to this school please contact the Families Information Service, who can offer comprehensive up to date information on registered childcare in Warrington, including childminders, day nurseries, pre-schools, playgroups, out of school and holiday clubs, carer & toddler groups, leisure activities and much more.....

Other Useful contacts

WBC school admission, transport & pupil services team 01925 446226

Who to contact

Contact Name
Mr Alan J Saunders
Contact Position
Head Teacher
01925 723340
Fax: 01925 721402

Where to go

St. Josephs Catholic Primary School
Walton Avenue

Other details


Local/National Service?

Local Offer


All Warrington schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible and have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs. They are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils make the best possible progress.

There is a lift for the stage.

Contact Name
Mr Alan J Saunders (Head Teacher) Mrs Sarah Watson (Inclusion Manager)
Contact Telephone
01925 623340
Contact Email
Local Offer Age Bands
5-11 - Primary

Schools Extended Local Offer Response

How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

The class teacher will initially identify a need through assessment showing specific gaps in your child’s understanding and learning. They may put extra support in place, often called intervention groups. These are run outside the classroom by a teacher or teaching assistant trained to use a recommended programme. At present these children will usually have an Individual Education Plan (IEP) and are classed as being at School Action.

For a child needing less than 20 hours of support a week but have a specific barrier to learning that can’t be met in an intervention group, they may be referred to an outside agency by the Inclusion Manager for extra specialist support, who may make recommendations of how best to support them.  This will be discussed with you beforehand. These children are classed as being at School Action Plus. 

For a child needing more support each week or have severe, complex or lifelong needs -the school or you may request that the Local Authority carry out a Statutory Assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out an amount of support that will be provided for your child. After information has been gathered the Local Authority will decide if your child will require an Education, Health Care Plan or Statement of Special Educational Needs. This will mean your child will receive support from the Local Authority. An extra adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes including your child or support them 1 to 1

How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.

If you are not happy that your concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the Inclusion Manager.

If you are still not happy you can speak to the Head Teacher.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's/young person's needs?

 The Inclusion Manager, Mrs Sarah Watson, is responsible for:

  • Coordinating all support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and assisting with developing the school’s SEND policy to make sure all children get consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are involved in supporting your child’s learning, kept informed about the support your child is getting, involved in reviewing how they are doing and is part of planning ahead for them.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning, for example Speech and Language Therapist, Educational Psychologist.
  • Updating the schools SEND record of need, (a system for ensuring all the special educational, physical and sensory needs of pupils in this school are known and understood) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Supporting class teachers and teaching assistants in the school, so they can help your child and other pupils with SEND in the school achieve the best possible progress.

Contact the Inclusion Manager by appointment through the school office or by direct daily contact.

Pastoral and Learning Mentor, Mrs Tracy Tyrrell, is responsible for:

  • Managing the pastoral and emotional needs of targeted children. 
  • Supporting staff in providing for the children’s emotional needs in order to better access the curriculum.
  • Parental liaison with regard to these children.
  • Supporting the Head Teacher in overseeing pastoral support.
  • Working with external agencies for pastoral and family issues.
  • Safeguarding oversight. 

Class Teacher is responsible for:

  • Ensuring that all children have access to good/outstanding teaching and that the curriculum is adapted to meet your child’s individual needs (also known as differentiation).
  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support, adapting resources etc.) and discussing amendments with the Pastoral Manager/Inclusion Team as necessary.
  • Writing Individual Education Plans (IEP’s) and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Ensuring that all members of staff working with your child in school are aware of your child’s individual needs and/or conditions and what specific adjustments need to be made to enable them to be included and make progress.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are supported in delivering the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

Contact the class teacher by appointment through the school office or by direct daily contact. 

Inclusion Team (Inclusion Manager, Headteacher, Deputy Head, Pastioral and Learning Mentor, key staff) are responsible for:

  • Analysing all data termly to identify any child with additional needs.
  • Discussing with relevant trained staff best intervention strategies and set a programme of interventions to take part over a term. To allow children reach their full potential.
  • Providing ongoing informal assessments of progress and deciding on next course of action.     

Contact the Inclusion Team via Pastoral Manager or Pastoral and learning Mentor by appointment through the school office.

Head Teacher, Mr Alan Saunders, is responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • He will give responsibility to the Pastoral Manager, Inclusion Team and class/subject teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • He must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

Contact the Head Teacher by appointment through the school office.

SEN Governor, Mrs Judith Ackers, is responsible for:

  • Making sure that the school has an up to date SEND Policy.
  • Making sure that the school has appropriate provision and has made necessary adaptations to meet the needs of all children in the school.
  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.
  • Making visits to understand and monitor the support given to children with SEND in the school and being part of the process to ensure your child achieves their potential in school.

 Contact the SEN Governor by appointment through the school office.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

Class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that learning tasks are adjusted in order to enable your child to access their learning as independently as possible.

Specially trained teaching assistants can adapt the teachers planning to support the needs of your child where necessary. Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.

Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs. When a child’s work is differentiated or they receive extra support they will usually have an Individual Education Plan (IEP) with achievable targets. All IEP’s are reviewed regularly and new targets set.

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall well being?

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.

Their progress is reviewed formally every term and a National Curriculum level given in reading, writing, numeracy and science.

If your child is in the Summer term of Year 1 or above, but is not yet at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their level in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress. The levels are called “P Levels”.

At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of Year 2 and Year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATs). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.

Children at School Action and School Action Plus will have an Individual Education Plan (IEP) which will be reviewed every term and a plan for the next term made.

The progress of children with a statement of SEN/EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all the adults involved with the child’s education.

The Inclusion Manager and Inclusion Team will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.

The Inclusion Manager and Pastoral and Learning Mentor are available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.

All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report. We will also arrange to meet with you to discuss any new assessments and ideas suggested by outside agencies for your child.

Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs. A home and school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

School hold reading, writing and numeracy sessions each school year for parents who wish to attend.

If your child is undergoing statutory assessment you can also be supported by Parent Partnerships at Warrington Borough Council. They will ensure that you fully understand the process.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

Medicines are administered by first aiders after a pupil care plan has been completed and a parental signature is received.

School have an Educational Welfare Officer to help increase attendance.

As stated above the Pastoral and Learning Mentor is available for children with emotional and wellbeing needs.

What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had? Are any being trained currently?

School has access to all specialist services and expertise available via the local authority. Some agencies are sought if the Local Authority's capacity is limited. 

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

The school has a development plan, including identified training needs for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This may include whole school training on SEND issues or to support identified groups of learners in school, such as ASD, dyslexia and Speech and Language difficulties.

Whole staff training to disseminate knowledge, strategies and experience, to ensure consistency of the school’s approach for children with SEND.

The Inclusion manager holds the National certificate for SEN co-ordinatiion.

Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class, for example talk for writing, POPAT. 

Some staff are first aid trained.

How accessible is the setting/school/college environment?

We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

The school ensures that children with poor fine motor control have access to specific pencil grips, scissors and slopping desks as directed by the Occupational Therapist.

Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND. Parents are often invited on school trips for children with SEND if this is thought more appropriate for the child.

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

The school is accessible to children with physical disability via ramps. 

The school has disabled toilet access.

How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

We recognise that “moving on” can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the new school’s INCO and ensure they know about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child, including school visits. 
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • Staff from the new school will be invited to the final review of your child’s statement.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. There is a hand over day for class teachers and TAs to pass information about the children onto their next teacher. All Individual Education Plans will be shared with the new teacher.
  • If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made available for them.
  • The children will visit their new classes and be introduced to their new environment well in advance.

 In Year 6:

  • The Pastoral and Learning Mentor will attend a Primary Transition Day to discuss the specific needs of your child with the INCO of their secondary school.
  • Year 6 class teacher and teaching assistant attend a retreat day with the children and discuss all children’s needs with staff.
  • Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.

Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

The school budget, received from the Local Authority, includes money for supporting children with SEND. The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs of the children currently in the school.

The Head Teacher, Inclusion Manager and Inclusion Team discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including the children getting extra support already, the children needing extra support and the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected. It is then decided what resources/training and support is needed. All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.

Directly funded by school:

  • Inclusion Manager
  • Pastoral and Learning Mentor
  • Teaching assistants
  • 1 to 1 Teaching Assistants for children with SEND
  • Educational Welfare Officer (Silver Package with LA)
  • Behaviour Support (from outside agency)
  • Additional Inclusion Teacher for Learning input to provide a higher level of service to the school (from outside agency when required and available)

Paid for centrally by Local Authority but delivered in school:

  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Inclusion Teacher for Learning
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • Speech and Language Therapy (provided by Health but paid for by Local Authority)
  • Parent Partnership (to support families through the SEND process and procedure)

Provided and paid for by the Health Service:

  •  School Health Advisor
How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

The class teacher will put in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. They will carefully check on your child’s progress. Any concerns are reported to parents and the Inclusion Manager.

The Inclusion Manager analyses all data termly to identify and child with additional needs. They discuss the best intervention strategies and set a programme of interventions to take part over a term. They provide ongoing informal assessments and decide on next course of action.

 The team supports all children with SEND and liaises with all other agencies supporting your child. She will also discuss any concerns you may have and make any appropriate referrals.

The Head Teacher gives responsibility to the Inclusion Manager, the Pastoral and Learning Mentor and Inclusion Team but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.