Westbrook Old Hall Community Primary School

All children in England between the ages of 5 and 16 years are entitled to a free place at a state school. Legally your child reaches compulsory school age at the beginning of the term following his/her fifth birthday. In Warrington, however, it is current policy to provide education from the beginning of the school year in which your child is 5 years old. This means that a school place will be available in the September following your child’s fourth birthday.  Mainstream state schools are funded by the Local Authority (LA), follow the National Curriculum and are regularly inspected by the Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted).

Extended Services through schools

Extended services are additional services and activities offered by schools to pupils, their families and the community. These services often take place outside of normal school hours and can include access to childcare, sports activities and support for learning. Find out what might be on offer and get information about possible costs and financial help.

Childcare provision related to this school

  • Cotton Tails Link Club
  • Old Hall Pre School Breakfast Buddies
    Please see separate entry under 'childcare' for more details.
  • Childminders also provide out of school care and some may have specified they pick up/drop off from this school.
    Please contact the Families Information Service for more details.

For more detailed information of childcare linked to this school please contact the Families Information Service, who can offer comprehensive up to date information on registered childcare in Warrington, including childminders, day nurseries, pre-schools, playgroups, out of school and holiday clubs, carer & toddler groups, leisure activities and much more.....

Other Useful contacts

WBC school admission, transport & pupil services team  01925 443322

Who to contact

Contact Name
Mr. Stewart Quinn
Contact Position
01925 415544
Fax: 01925 659158

Where to go

Westbrook Old Hall CP School
Old Hall Road
Old Hall

Other details


Local/National Service?

Local Offer


Westbrook Old Hall Primary School is a family school where we aspire to meet the needs of all children and to instil in them a love of learning.

Contact Name
Mr. Stewart Quinn (Head Teacher) Mrs F Perry (SENDCo and Inclusion Leader)
Contact Telephone
Contact Email
Local Offer Age Bands
5-11 - Primary

Schools Extended Local Offer Response

How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

On-going monitoring takes place by teachers and teaching assistants to identify children who are not making progress or who have behavioural needs which are affecting their ability to engage in learning activities. Children are also monitored for any social or communication issues and all concerns are reported to the school SENCo. Any issues may be raised with the class teacher, the SENCo, the SEN Governor or the Head Teacher.

How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

If a parent thinks their child has special educational needs, they should first consult with the class teacher who will then monitor their child’s progress in conjunction with the school SENCo and report back to them.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's/young person's needs?

The school SENCo will oversee and plan the education programmes. She is responsible for coordinating provision for children with SEN and developing the school’s SEN policy. She will ensure that parents are involved in supporting their child’s learning and access and will keep them informed about the range and level of support offered to their child. This will include intervention programmes run by teaching assistants or by learning Support Assistants depending on the individual needs of the children. She will include parents in reviewing how their child is doing and liaise with a range of outside agencies such as Speech and Language, the Educational Psychologist, Paediatricans and the Local Authority Inclusion Team to help children overcome any difficulties. The Head Teacher will be responsible for the day to day management of all aspects of the school, including the provision made for children with SEN. The SEN Governor will support school to evaluate and develop quality and impact of provision for children with SEN across the school.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

The school will provide each child with SEN with an Individual Education Plan which will allow each child to be able to access their learning and the curriculum – the individual learning needs of each child will be identified and specific strategies put into place to aid each child’ inclusion. This will mean that each child’s learning will be differentiated and strategies implemented on a daily basis.

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall well being?

Children’s IEPs are updated three times a year with parents but the Learning Support Assistants also keep in regular contact with parents. During the IEP meetings, parents will be informed of how their child is progressing against their targets and age related expectations. At this meeting, parents will be informed of how their child’s learning is planned and how they can support their children outside of school. The opinions of parents and children will be sought on how the IEP is progressing and these opinions will then impact on the next IEP. The progress of each child s learning across the curriculum is also monitored by the Head Teacher to track progression. The school provides a series of workshops on learning throughout the year which parents can access through the school website calendar.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

The school deploys strategies to support the development of children’s social skills and enhance self esteem. There are pastoral support groupings throughout the school which are led by individual teachers and buddy systems in place. Social skills groups are set up for children as part of their IEPS and all children are encouraged to be a part of the Westbrook Old Hall Family. The school has assigned teaching assistants who will administer prescribed medicines and provide personal care when required. The school has a Positive Behaviour Policy to ensure a consistency of practice which the children are well versed in and there are termly attendance awards for children to reduce absence numbers. The children have their own School Council and regularly put forward their views to the Head Teacher and they fill in a questionnaire at the end of each year which then impacts upon the School Development Plan. The school also provides access to Family Support Workers and Child Mental Health Services.

What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had? Are any being trained currently?

The school has two teaching assistants who are qualified in Speech and Language Therapy and six accredited First Aiders. We also access to a Speech and Language team,  the Local Authority Inclusion Team, Educational Psychologists, the School Nurse, Occupational Therapists, Paediatric Services, the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service, Family Support Workers and Social Care.

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

An on-going programme of training is in place to ensure that teachers and support staff have appropriate skills and knowledge in areas that will improve their teaching and support of children with SEN.

Our SENCo actively engages with local opportunities to share best practice and keep abreast of current and local national initiatives and policy to support students with SEN. The school seeks advice and guidance to review, evaluate and develop provision for children who have the most complex needs.

Recent training has covered Dyslexia, Speech and Language, ADHD and Safe-guarding.

How accessible is the setting/school/college environment?

Every child will be able to access all of the activities in school and in trips through implementation of comprehensive risk assessments and involvement of parents/carers in the planning of activities and trips.

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

The school is fully wheelchair accessible and is a modern auditory and visual environment. There are two disabled toilets which also provide separate changing facilities. The school has access to a translation service from the authority for parents whose first language is not English. The SENCo audits provision and facilities on an annual basis in a Subject leader Action Plan, an action plan for the year is then put into place which will identify all costings. These costings inform the SEN budget which is considered a priority by the Governing Body. All staff will be trained when provided with any new equipment.

How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

Children and young people with SEN can become particularly anxious about ‘moving on’ so we seek to support successful transition in a number of ways.

When moving to our school we will contact the school SENCo and share information about special arrangements and support that has been made to help a child achieve their learning goals.

When moving year groups in school transition information will be shared with the new class teacher.

In Year 6 to 7 transition the SENCo and/or class teacher will attend a transition day meeting to discuss the specific needs of children and the nature and level support which has had the most impact

In some cases additional multi-agency meetings may be arranged to create a more detailed ‘transition’ plan which may include more visits to the new school and/or additional visits from the new school.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

The SENCo audits provision each year and writes a Subject Leader Action Plan which will match resources to children’s needs. The SENCo costs the purchase of resources and submits a budget application which is overseen by the Governors.

How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

After discussions with key staff and parents, additional support will be put into place to provide enhanced resources and/or targeted small group and/or individual support to overcome any difficulties. The views of the child about their support will be given consideration throughout this process.

This additional support is documented in an individual provision map, IEP or Behaviour Support Plan. In consultation with the SENCo and parents, short term targets are agreed which prioritise key areas of learning or behaviour to address and by which progress can be measured. Where external agencies are involved, their advice and recommendations are included in the support programmes. Actions agreed take into account each child’s strengths as well as their difficulties. In some cases teaching assistant support may be allocated. This support is deployed to ensure each child can engage in lessons and wider school activities and to facilitate independent learning to support transition.

Formal review meetings are held as required. Parents, relevant external agencies and when appropriate children are invited to this review and their contribution is valued. The impact of support offered is considered along with the progress towards targets set. Support arrangements will be updated and revised accordingly. If not involved already, this might include referral to external agencies. The outcomes of meetings will be formally recorded.

If a child is continuing to have significant difficulties, further external expertise may be requested. Additional funding is available for these children. This can be accessed using the Local Authority process for Statementing. Further details will be explained in the Local Authority offer.