Housing and care homes

You can find information about housing advice and support, and different housing options here.

If you have care and support needs may be considering moving from your home, or making changes to your home, to help you remain independent. There are a variety of housing options which can be explored in the tabs below.

Find out how much you may have to pay

Care Cost Calculator

Our online calculator can tell you how much you may need to contribute towards your care costs.

If you, or someone you know, need care, it is useful to get an idea of what the costs could be if it is arranged by the council.

The calculator will give you an estimated amount that you may need to pay towards long-term residential care, care in your home or a short stay in a residential home (respite).

It is a free, confidential and easy-to-use tool. It can take as little as 10 minutes to complete, depending on the level of detail you give. Only you will see your results, they will not be shared with anyone else.

Try to give as much information as you can; so that you get the most accurate result possible. Before you start you may find it useful to get together documents related to:

  • Your income, from your pensions and benefits.
  • Your savings and investments, such as ISAs and shares.
  • Your essential bills and spending, for example your council tax, rent and mortgage

Care cost calculator

What help can I get to remain in my own home?

Staying independent is the best way to stay healthy whether you have care needs, a disability or need support into older age.

Most people prefer to stay in their own home and with access to local services, adaptations and extra help. This is often possible.

Home maintenance
If you want help maintaining your home you could contact a home improvement agency which offers a range of services to help you maintain, improve or adapt your home. For example:

  • General maintenance and garden maintenance
  • Repairs
  • Home cleaning services
  • Major and minor adaptations
  • Efficient heating systems

Find home maintenance services.

Before accessing care at home you will usually need to be assessed by a social care worker. Please contact Warrington Borough Council’s Adult Social Care First Response team to discuss or arrange an assessment.

Find further information about home care, and find different home care providers

Home adaptations and equipment
There is a range of equipment available and adaptations to your home which can be made to help you remain in your own home. These can be: small items that are widely available, such as electric tin openers and travel kettles; more specialist items such as bath seats, or perching stools; larger items such as stair lifts; minor property adaptations such as grab rails; or (for those with greatest need) major adaptations such as walk-in showers.

Disabled Facilities Grants
You may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) if you’re disabled and you need to make changes to your home to help you live independently. Grants are means tested and therefore targeted at people on low incomes. Find out more about Disabled Facilities Grants, the application process, low cost loans, adaptations loan and relocation loans here.

Care in your own home
Home care (also known as domiciliary care) enables people to live in their own homes and access care services, which are usually provided by care workers. Home care can include things such as: getting out of bed in the morning, washing and dressing; preparing meals and drinks; and support to take prescribed medication.

Find further information about accessing help in your home and community here.

Housing advice & support

Housing Benefit
Housing benefit helps people who live in rented accommodation pay their rent. You can make a claim for housing benefit if you are not claiming Universal Credit, or are of pensionable age and:

  • You pay rent to a housing association
  • You pay rent to a private landlord
  • You pay rent for a mobile home/caravan/houseboat and or mooring/site fees
  • You pay part rent and part mortgage – shared ownership. 

Find out if you’re eligible for housing benefit and council tax support and how to make a claim.

Housing grants and assistance
Find information regarding housing grants and assistance, such as affordable warmth, disabled facilities grants, safe and secure assistance, the green deal and winter housing grants on the Council’s website.

Social Housing
Social housing is let at low rents on a secure basis to those who are most in need or struggling with their housing costs. Find information about the social housing available in Warrington and who can apply for social housing here.

Private renting – finding a home to rent
There are a number of letting agents in Warrington who can assist with finding private rented accommodation. You may be experiencing poor housing conditions or having issues with your landlord.

For prospective tenants who want to rent privately, a useful resource is the Council’s checklist for prospective tenants.

Empty homes
Find information about empty homes such as bringing your home back into use, leaving a property empty, or squatters, on the Council’s website.

Are you homeless or about to become homeless?
Housing plus is Warrington Borough Council’s housing advice and homelessness service. If you are homeless or about to become homeless, the council’s housing plus service can offer advice and help in finding alternative accommodation.

Find further information:
Warrington Borough Council – Homelessness
Homelessness (Shelter.org.uk)

What is sheltered and retirement accommodation?

Sheltered and retirement housing
Sheltered and retirement housing usually consists of purpose built and self-contained flats with communal facilities or a group of bungalows or flats. This accommodation is specifically designed for older people (or younger disabled people) to allow them to live independently.

Most properties have their own front door, kitchen and bathroom, so that residents can continue to live independently and have the freedom to come and go as they please. Many schemes offer social activities or entertainment for residents, such as coffee mornings or quiz evenings, and organised excursions to places of interest.

The main advantage of sheltered housing is that residents have help at hand if they need it. Additional support may be offered in the form of:

A scheme manager (or warden) living on- or off-site, who gives advice to residents, ensure that communal areas are clean, and arranges maintenance and repairs.

A 24-hour emergency alarm system, such as Carecall within each property, so that resident can call for help if they have a fall, for example.

Some scheme managers may offer additional support, including making regular checks on your well-being, liaising with your local doctor and your relatives and managing the day-to-day running of the accommodation.

Housing with care
Housing with care is similar to sheltered/retirement housing but often offers a greater level of care, where up to 24-hour support with personal care is available. This can help people to retain their independence and choice while giving them support as required.  Housing with care can be an alternative to residential or nursing care and is also known as extra care sheltered housing or very sheltered housing. 

Find different sheltered and retirement accommodation providers.  

Further information
Sheltered housing and extra-care housing (Age UK)
Checklist for choosing sheltered accommodation (Which?)

What is supported living?

This type of housing provision may be suitable for adults with care and support needs (this may include people with physical, sensory, learning disabilities or mental health needs). Supported accommodation can be ordinary or purpose built properties shared by a small number of people. Typically this is 3, 4 or 5 people, where each person has their own bedroom and shared communal areas. 

There will be an established and funded level of staff support, which can vary from regular visits to a 24 hour presence. Staff can help with information and advice about setting up and maintaining a home, managing finances, claiming benefits, developing domestic and life skills, and more.

The rest of the property is usually communal space used by tenants collectively. Normally this will include at least a lounge, kitchen and dining area. There may be additional facilities like a sensory room, laundry, staff sleep-in room and some schemes will (for example) have en-suite bathrooms rather than a shared bathroom. Staff may or may not also live in the supported living accommodation.

Before moving to supported living accommodation you will usually need to be assessed by a social care worker. Please contact Warrington Borough Council’s Adult Social Care First Response team to discuss or arrange an assessment.

Find different supported living providers.

Further information
Supported Housing (Rethink Mental Illness)
Supported Housing (Learning Disability England)

What are care homes?

Care homes provide 24 hour support to people who can no longer be supported in their own home or in any other setting. There are different types of care homes dependent on an individual’s level of need.

Before moving to a care home you will usually need to be assessed by a social care worker (for residential homes) or social care worker and nurse (for nursing homes). Please contact Warrington Borough Council’s Adult Social Care First Response team to discuss or arrange an assessment.

Find further information about care homes and the different types that exist, and find different residential, nursing and dementia care home providers.